Names and a man with three thumbs

Ven ven at vvcrane.junglelink.co.uk
Sat Oct 14 21:34:07 EDT 2000

Date sent:      	Sat, 14 Oct 2000 09:23:45 -0400
From:           	owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net (dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones))
To:             	dwj-digest at suberic.net
Subject:        	dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #234
Send reply to:  	dwj at suberic.net
Robyn said
> Dolly Duck. This reminds me of my friend Sharon who recently married a man
> called Rick Squirell. Her mother in law said "don't change your name". She
> said "why did you" and got the answer "because my maiden name was Vile".

Ho, Sharon Squirell! As for Dolly Duck, would you believe I'd never
noticed....... she was always Auntie Dolly to me. Hmm the spelling
of Auntie or Aunty makes a difference too. Among the family
photos there's a particularly nice studio portrait of my Nana, her
three sisters and my Great Grandad, Job Duck. Sadly you can't
see one of the interesting things about Job -- he had three thumbs,
all functional! The extra one grew from the same root as the main
thumb, kind of curling round it. Apparently he had a phenomenal
grip between the two thumb pads and once used this to drag a
doctor across the room by the collar of his white coat, because the
silly man had the temerity to suggest he should have the extra one
removed. Of course at the age of forty, using his spare thumb as
much as the other two it would have effectively disabled him. I think
he demonstrated this to the Doctor rather well. These days I
believe its common practice to amputate extra digits at birth and
Job's story makes me wonder if they should.

                                           Ven.