To Say Nothing of the Dog (was: Re: Names)

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Sat Oct 14 11:24:06 EDT 2000

On Sat, 14 Oct 2000, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

> > > My dearest Paulums, I am fairly *weak* with horror!!
> >
> > My dearest Hallie, *I* am fairly weak with laughter. :)
>
> _My_ dearest Paul, thanks for the compliment, but it was actually
> Becca who wrote this! :)

Oh dear. Now that I look, you're quite right. It's even signed with
Becca's name at the bottom and everything. Sorry, Becca.

> > (You realise, of course, that Willis stole the idea of the chapter
> > summary from Jerome's book?)
>
> "Stole"???  I hardly think it counts as stealing when the book is
> named in obvious homage to Jerome's book.  :)

No, fair enough.

> Which both Becca and I were led to read after TSNotD, btw.

I read _Three Men in a Boat_ first. That's one of the reasons it took
me so long to get around to TSNotD -- it's appallingly difficult to
find a copy of TMiaB these days.
On the positive side, the copy I eventually found was a special
centenary edition with very nice pictures.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."