Names

Sat Oct 14 01:58:57 EDT 2000

On Sat, 14 Oct 2000 01:37:30 -0400, Laurel Lamme wrote:

>Hallie O'Donovan wrote:
>
>> I was thinking that it was odd we seemed to have nobody with major DWJ
>> names - no Toms, Sophies, Pollys, Christophers, but then someone mentioned
>> TotG and I remembered Sally.  Duh.  Also Kathleen from Dogsbody, of course.
>> I'm expecting part of my brain to return any day now...
>
>I couldn't resist mentioning that the list does have a Laurel, albeit a fairly
>silent one.  I am usually too far behind in my email to post, but have enjoyed
>reading every message since I joined.  (Becca's To Say Nothing Of The Dog post
>nearly made me fall out of my chair with laughter.)  And on the subject of
>finding your own name in a book, Fire and Hemlock is still one of my favorite
>books in the world, despite the fact that Laurel gets rather a bad rap.

You know, I rather like Laurel.  She's the bad guy, but she's not evil--just
totally alien.  She's cruel, but fair (in both senses).  It hints at a whole
realm of Faerie that we never see except in the glimpses of Laurel's life.

>Kyra Jucovy wrote:
>
>>  Sdrawkcab is probably the language I'm
>> most fluent in next to English, given that one just has to learn a
>> different lexicon and not a whole new grammar ;-).

I am trying not to think about how awful my name is in Sdrawkcab.  The
translation is left as an exercise for the reader, as this is a family list.
:)

Melissa Proffitt
(and my middle name is Renee.  Eener.  Ugh.)