Names (was: Re: YotG - wee bittie spoilers)

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Sat Oct 14 00:27:34 EDT 2000

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

>                 "Look here! I've an idea we've been working this
> thing from the wrong end."
>                                       --Lord Peter Whimsy

Not Lord Peter Wimsey? :)

>                                 Chapter One
>
> A Letter--A Message from the Other Side!--I Explain it All--A Swoon,
> Not Mrs Merring This Time--A Swoon Involving Keyboards--Exclamation
> Marks--More Exclamation Marks--Penwipers and Jumble Sales--I am
> Fairly WEAK with Horror--I Beg Everyone's Forgiveness--The End.

Heh. :)

(You realise, of course, that Willis stole the idea of the chapter
summary from Jerome's book?)

> Words cannot properly *express* how UNHAPPY I was when I read your
> letter!!  I believe Fate has led me to this list so I can spread the
> knowledge of my dearums dearums booksie. HOW can you not have liked
> it?

I was mostly enjoying it, actually, but it was beginning to look like
one of those books where the hero is always on the verge of doing
something horrifically embarrassing; and I can't stand those.

> When I read your letter this afternoon I *swooned* at your mention
> of my poor dearums booksy going Unread and Unloved All This TIME!!

It's only been about four days. :)

(Having decided not to read TSNotD, incidentally, I'm reading _The War
of the Worlds_ instead. It's got a reference to Australia in it!)

> If you only read a few chapters, you *won't* have met my lovely
> wovely Cyril and my dearums dearums JuJu (or Tossie, for that
> matter) and you won't at all have Realised What It Means. If you
> have not read this book, *how* can you understand about Penwipers or
> Jumble Sales??

You're wrong there. Ned is quite eloquent about Penwipers and Jumble
Sales in the first chapter, and he met Cyril at about the time I gave
up.
Either JuJu or Tossie, I take it, is the cat.

> My dearest Paulums, I am fairly *weak* with horror!!

My dearest Hallie, *I* am fairly weak with laughter. :)

> I am terribly plagued with guilt that I have not before led you to
> finish this Absolutely Wonderful Novel.

I repeat, I only gave up on it last Tuesday, so you haven't really had
much of an opportunity before now.
Don't worry about it.

Paul
--