Names (books)

LizzieO iagosaint at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 13 00:39:40 EDT 2000

--- Hallie O'Donovan <hallieod at indigo.ie> wrote:

> Becca here. My baby name book (yes, I have one!)

I've got about seven, I sheepishly admit.  I wanted to
reccommend that you, Becca, look into some of the
multicultural ones, based on your liking for Gavriela
et al.  I've got a book by Theresa Norman called Baby
Names from Around the World that I go gaga over. . .
I'll start a story about an only child, start looking
through Russian names, and end up trying to convince
myself that it's okay if he/she/it has a few dozen
siblings.  I've come across names from various places
that I've loved at various stages: Agnessa's Russian,
Adriel, I believe, is semi-popular in Israel--I find
that I love names that start with A most often, but
also P's: Paola, Pilar, Paloma (somebody mentioned
those before), Petrova (though that's from Ballet
Shoes).  I also like mythological names--there's a
website, pantheon.com, that has a ton of gods and
mortals from myth, and you can find some really good
names: Tane's a polynesian sky god, Inanna's an
assyrian (I might be wrong here) warrior goddess,
Zarya's a slavic water-carrier goddess.  As you can
tell, I get carried away easily.  The other books I
like are the Beyond Jennifer and Jason crew (BJ&J, The
Last Word on First Names, BJ&J, Madison and Montana)
which are name books telling not the definitions but
the author's opinions.

BTW, thinking of Xavier: I've got a nephew named Orion
Xavier, and his parents pronounce it with an X sound.
I'm a name snob, and I wince every once in a while,
but it makes them happy, so whatever.  What gets to me
is that they call him Rion for short, pronounced Ryan
but spelled Rion.  To me that ALWAYS without fail
calls to mind a character named Rion from one of
Robert Asprin's Myth books who was either blue or
orange, I don't remember, and had a large number of
appendages.  Me, I just call my nephew Ox.  It works.

lizzie.

=====
Nevertheless he too was a rebel: rebelling even against his class.  Or perhaps rebel is too strong a word; far too strong.  He was only caught in the general, popular recoil of the young against convention and against any sort of real authority. . . .  Even the war was ridiculous, though it did kill rather a lot of people.

     --D.H. Lawrence, "Lady Chatterley's Lover"