Names & Libby on Wednesday

LizzieO iagosaint at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 13 00:23:17 EDT 2000

And because his
> family already had
> several Lauras, Laura Ingalls Wilder's husband
> Almanzo called her Bess, a
> nickname of her middle name, Elizabeth.  I could
> never stand the name
> "Bess."  Makes me think of Bess from the Nancy Drew
> stories. Yuck.

Bess is another Elizabeth nickname that sounds fat to
me, for some reason.  Probably because it's so close
to what cows are often called--Bessy, Bossy.  As for
Laura Ingalls and Almanzo Wilder, well, she called him
Manly.  They had some strange nicknames in that
household.

Nancy Drew's other sidekick was George, for Georgina
or something in that vein, to go back to the Nigella
discussion.  I actually rather like Nigella and other
harsh feminizations of male names, especially Josepha
(ie Sherman) and Philippa (ie Gordon, from the Anne
books).  I think it's because, unlike various "ette"
names they don't give elaborate fancy curlicues and
diminutives to names.  Just the "a" to indicate sex,
and other than that they're just names.  Of course,
these days, you're as likely to name a girl Nigel as
Nigella.  I haven't decided how I feel about that yet.

The name Laura, btw, calls to mind for me the movie of
that name.  Have you ever seen it?  I haven't, but I
sort of have this noir-y feeling attached to it in my
head--sort of like Rebecca and the Hitchcock movie.
Oh, and Hallie, in the recent remake of "The Parent
Trap," one of the twins as played by Lindsay Lohan was
named Hallie (after someone real).  I know this
because I've seen that movie at least six million five
hundred times.  My mom likes it and watches it
whenever she gets sick, and my cousin watches it every
time she comes to visit.  I always thought it was kind
of cool, because of the similarity to Hayley, as in
Hayley Mills of original "Parent Trap" fame.

lizzie. . . my name backwards is eizzil (I say it
easel) skrap.  My mom's is better: sarah parks
backwards is haras skrap.  we've had fun with that one.

=====
Nevertheless he too was a rebel: rebelling even against his class.  Or perhaps rebel is too strong a word; far too strong.  He was only caught in the general, popular recoil of the young against convention and against any sort of real authority. . . .  Even the war was ridiculous, though it did kill rather a lot of people.

     --D.H. Lawrence, "Lady Chatterley's Lover"