Names and spelling

lpuszcz at uoft02.utoledo.edu lpuszcz at uoft02.utoledo.edu
Fri Oct 13 09:22:29 EDT 2000

Philip wrote:
Dorian, quoting Laurie:

> I sympathize.  Imagine the last name "Puszczewicz"  How would you
> pronounce that?

I'm inclined to think PUSH-keh-vitch.  But I know nothing about Polish,
and am probably dead wrong.

I don't know much about Polish, either, but surely it's szcz as in
"pushchair"?

I know next to nothing about Poish too, Philip (which is funny,
considering my last name.  Many people assume I must, but an unfortunate
side effect of the old cliched "American melting pot" (at least for me)
was a complete lack of knowledge about most of the cultures in my
background) but I think you're close.  It's an odd experience to be told
you pronounce your own name wrong, but a Polish woman I met in Spain
pronounced it for me once, and I remember the sh/ch combination.
"Pushchair" is a good way to remember that; thanks!

Jennifer mentioned how spelling can change the look and feel of a name,
like Sophy and Sophie. I agree.  Most people spell my first name "Lori"
and I get a completely different vibe from that spelling than I do from
"my" speling, "Laurie." One of the interesting trends today (at least
where I live) is taking common names and twisting the spellings a bit to
make them stand out. Sometimes for me it can be a little disconcerting
until I get used to it. I once knew a Megn, a Genphr, and a Saruh. I went
through a phase in elementary school where I tried to figure out how many
different ways I could spell "Laurie." I came up with quite a few, as I
recall. Laurie, Lori, Lorie, Lauri, Lory, Laury, Lorrie, Lorry,
Laure...Fortunately, that phase was short.

There is a children's book called _The Great Gilly Hopkins_, Gili.

Laurie