Names (was: Re: YotG - wee bittie spoilers)

otheng otheng at kinghenry8.coventry.sch.uk
Fri Oct 13 08:21:01 EDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at Proffitt.com>

> Oh, right!  I was thinking American English.  I am in the middle of
teaching
> my daughter to read, so I'm thinking phonics but not as other English
> speakers use them.

"G" bis a hard one in phonics, as there are about as many of each
pronunciation!

> Americans usually spell Gillian with a J, and if they see Gill they will
> indeed assume what you said--because they think it's short for Gilbert.
> (NOT pronounced Jill-bert.)

Yes - lots of Americans actually address e-mails to me to "Gil", despite
seeing my name. The general rule, of course, is that the "g" is soft if it
is followed by "i" or "e". Hence the use of "u" in "guide" and "h" in
"ghost". THat said, it's easy to find plenty of exceptions!

Gill