Names

Ven ven at vvcrane.junglelink.co.uk
Thu Oct 12 21:53:27 EDT 2000

Rebecca quoted
> Dorian again:
>
> > AFAIK, Jennifer, Guinevere and Gwynhfar are all the same name at root;
> > Guinevere, I know, is the French version, and Gwynhfar is the Welsh.  I'm
> > not sure which one Jennifer developed from.

and said

> I think it was Greg Bear who wrote a short story ("Scattershot"?)
which had (as > a minor theme) several variants of that name.  He
connected it with "Juniper", > though.  I don't know how valid that
might be - certainly seems at variance with > the Celtic etymology
people have been posting here. >

My dictionary has a section on names, I alwayus think that being a
dictionary the etymology should be good............ For Jennifer it
gives a conection to Guinivere, and says it means white wave or
white phantom. It also says it is a Cornish form of the name.
However juniper in Dutch is genever (same as the word for gin),
pronounced with a soft gutteral g, which certainly sounds close to
Jennifer. I always wondered if it was connected to the Italian
Ginevra, a lovely name. Actually I think names can have converging
etymologies, immigrants sometimes pick names for their children
that sound right in both languages. I had some neighbours from
Sierra Leone whose little girl was called Jene, pronounced nearly
the same as Jenny but a different name entirely.

On double barrelled names, or not. I know a teacher called Kane
who married a man called Birch. They didn't combine them.
Someone once sent them a postcard addressed to the flagellation
twins.

George RR Martin deserves an honourable mention on the subject
of names -- the collection in the appendix to Clash of Kings is like
an epic in itself. I particularly like the various nicknames and thre
fact he isn't afraid to have several people with the same name. Its
taken to (deliberate) excess in the case of House Frey, a great
many of whose sons are called Walder and quite a few girls Walda.
Among the Freys there is also a Merrett -- my Dad's name, and
spelled the right way too.

                                           Ven.