Names (was: Re: YotG - wee bittie spoilers)

Wed Oct 11 14:47:38 EDT 2000

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:19:23 +0100, otheng wrote:

> [...]

Oh, right!  I was thinking American English.  I am in the middle of teaching
my daughter to read, so I'm thinking phonics but not as other English
speakers use them.

Americans usually spell Gillian with a J, and if they see Gill they will
indeed assume what you said--because they think it's short for Gilbert.
(NOT pronounced Jill-bert.)

Melissa Proffitt
(off to listen to said child's reading)