Names (Rowling)

liril at gmx.net liril at gmx.net
Thu Oct 12 04:28:33 EDT 2000

Laurie wrote:
On the topic of names, another lit list that I was one was discussing
the
Harry Potter books, and someoone mentioned how much she liked how
Rowling
named things,  giving  hints as to the character's character.  To me,
the hints get to be a little obvious.  I mean, IIRC the Defense of the
Dark Arts teacher who was a werewolf was named Lupus.  That kind of hint

starts to spoil suspense after a while (IMHO).

Not to mention that his first name was Remus... Poor kid. But maybe his
parents had precognitions :-)

Bettina