Names (Jennifer)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Oct 11 15:46:03 EDT 2000

Dorian wrote:
>The "fer" part would mean "fair", as "fionn" or "fin" in Irish names does.
>I think the name comes from the Welsh "Gwynhfawr" (or something like that);
>I don't know what the other part means.

Becca here. My baby name book (yes, I have one!) says that Jennifer is also
a form of the French Guinivere, made popular after some version of the King
Arthur stories. And Nobody Knows what Guinivere means (but as she eats
bones in Joan Aiken's _The Stolen Lake_ it can't be anything very good).

"Gwynhfawr", however you pronounce it, looks awfully like Gwenhyfera (sp?)
from The Perilous Gard. Weird! And white wave or white-cheeked would be a
very good name to give to a Person Under the Hill, I think.

Becca (who loves name meanings too!)