Names, names, names

lpuszcz at uoft02.utoledo.edu lpuszcz at uoft02.utoledo.edu
Wed Oct 11 15:01:01 EDT 2000

Kylie wrote:
Having just broken up with my husband I now have the dilemma of whether to
keep the surname or go back to the old one.  Maybe I'll just make up a new
one altogether!  Or offers of marriage from a guy with a nice, ordinary
surname will be considered :)

Having the last name "Puszczewicz,"  I still swear to myself that I want
to marry a "Smith." Or a "Jones."  I like the idea of hyphenating one's
name after marriage, but can you imagine Puszczewicz with another name
attached to it?  I went to grade school with some kids named Ruskiewicz
and my sisters and I used to joke we would marry one of them and be
Puszczewicz-Ruskiewicz.  Oh, the horror!! In our university newspaper last
year I read about a prof of philosophy whose last name (designed by her
and her husband, and taken by both of them after they married) was
Muntersbjorn.  It means something, but I don't recall what it is off-hand.
I thought that was a cool idea.

Jennifer wrote about remembering Anne of Windy Willows instead of Anne of
Windy Poplars.  Windy Willows was the British title.  I just read an
article about the fact that there was additional text in the British
version that was cut from the American one, althought I don't think it
was terribly significant text.

On the topic of names, another lit list that I was one was discussing the
Harry Potter books, and someoone mentioned how much she liked how Rowling
named things,  giving  hints as to the character's character.  To me,
the hints get to be a little obvious.  I mean, IIRC the Defense of the
Dark Arts teacher who was a werewolf was named Lupus.  That kind of hint
starts to spoil suspense after a while (IMHO).

Laurie

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel have only read the
first page."