Names (was: Re: YotG - wee bittie spoilers)

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Wed Oct 11 14:31:21 EDT 2000

Jennifer said...

> Jennifer comes from a celtic word for "fair", in the sense "pale". I don't
> know what would have happened if I had had brown hair.

The "fer" part would mean "fair", as "fionn" or "fin" in Irish names does.
I think the name comes from the Welsh "Gwynhfawr" (or something like that);
I don't know what the other part means.

Hm...after some checking on the web (my baby names book is not very good,
and I already know it doesn't give a meaning for Jennifer; I looked it up
before as I have a character in my books with that name), I got
"white-cheeked" or "white wave".  The "wave" one sounds more likely to me,
for some reason.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian. (who loves name meanings!)
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

No, I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on tape somewhere.