Names (was: Re: YotG - wee bittie spoilers)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Oct 11 10:30:51 EDT 2000

>> My real name, I'm sorry to say, is Harriet.  Need I say more?  I was
>> desperately fond of Harriet the Spy as a child, and am not sure how much
>> was the fun of finding someone (outside a Victorian novel or the like)
>with
>> one of my names.  Don't come across all that many Hallies!
>

>But what about Harriet Vane, Lord Peter Wimsey's beloved? A sharp,
>resilient, independent lady - anyone would be happy to share her name. But
>who's ever heard of a Gill or Gillian as a heroine?

Oh, I hadn't forgotten her (who could?).  It was just that when I was
younger, there was more of a thrill discovering someone with my name.  By
the time I'd read the Sayers books, I no longer felt much associated with
Harriet, so it didn't even strike me that much.  Hallie as a nickname for
Harriet is not my own invention, btw, nor even that of my family (I was the
third Harriet, usually called Hallie - can you imagine the confusion?).

Becca read my post and said "What about Harriet Vane?  Duhh!"  Can you
believe it?  She hasn't even read the books, just encountered them in the
wonderful "To Say Nothing of the Dog".  The cheek!

Hallie.