Names & Libby on Wednesday

lpuszcz at uoft02.utoledo.edu lpuszcz at uoft02.utoledo.edu
Wed Oct 11 09:16:30 EDT 2000

Lizzie wrote:
I was thinking of this when I saw the tubby one; one
nickname for Elizabeth I've never been able to abide
is Libby (though there's a book called Libby on
Wednesday by Zilpha Keatley Snyder I've always liked)

I like that book a lot too.  It's always one of the examples I cite when I
argue that reading popular, non-canon lit can lead a person to read "the
classics."  I read "Watership Down" because of the that book. I read
_Ivanhoe_ because of _Knight's Castle_ and _Heavens to Betsy_. I read "The
Lady's Not for Burning" because of _Tam Lin_. Not that I see anything
wrong with reading non-canon, non-"classic" books, but other people
seem to. I get lots of suggestions for what to read next from the books I
read.  I should  go dig out the list I made from Fire & Hemlock and get
started on those.

And on the topic of the many nicknames for Elizabeth, this made me think
of _Anne of Windy Poplars_, where "Little Elizabeth" calls herself by
different nicknames when she's in different moods.  It'd be cool to have a
name that would stretch that much. And because his family already had
several Lauras, Laura Ingalls Wilder's husband Almanzo called her Bess, a
nickname of her middle name, Elizabeth.  I could never stand the name
"Bess."  Makes me think of Bess from the Nancy Drew stories. Yuck.

And speaking of those fun times at school when real names were revealed to
much hilarity, at my high school graduation we discovered one of the
football players' middle name was Josephus, allegedly a scholar and
historian of the early Cathoic Church.

Laurie