Names

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Wed Oct 11 08:29:42 EDT 2000

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

> Paul:
>
> > My favourite invented language is "Dogg", which is another
> > language where only the words are different. The tricky thing
> > about it is that all the words are real words in English, as well.
> >
> > For instance:
> > "Very true" is a perfectly understandable phrase in Dogg; it
> > translates, more or less, as "This needs salt".
> > "Afternoon, squire" is another perfectly understandable phrase in
> > Dogg; but I'm not going to translate it, because it's quite rude.
> > :)
>
> Did you by any chance learn/invent this language in a horrible
> boarding-school where you were forced to write journals which were
> then read by the teachers?

:)

No, Dogg was invented by the playwright Tom Stoppard (he who wrote
"Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead"); partly, he says, to
illustrate a philosophical point about communication, and partly
because he thought it would be funny to have a play where some of the
characters spoke only English and some of the characters spoke only
Dogg...

On the topic of compulsory journals, there was actually one year in
primary school when our teacher made us do those. It wasn't the same,
though, because we were told upfront that the teacher was going to
read them, so we knew to avoid stuff we didn't want the teacher to
read. I never minded, anyway; I had too much fun coming up with new
and original ways of writing "I can't think of anything to write
today".

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing.