Names (was: Re: YotG - wee bittie spoilers)

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Wed Oct 11 05:06:12 EDT 2000

 My advice to those of you naming children:
call them by their first names.  Never ever their
middle names.  You'll save them a LOT of minor
annoyances.
lizzie.

My father is called Fytton (pron. Fitton,)- his name is John (after his dad,
which is why he's not called by it) Fytton (after some friends of the family
whose surname is Fitton) Basil (his mother liked it- this was of course
before Fawlty Towers). He insisted that my brother and I have the most
normal names possible.
(One benefit of unusual names is people tend to get in touch with you- "You
must be the Fytton I was at school with, there can't be two of them.")
Jennifer Ann Birren (mother's maiden name, from Luxemburg, means "pears")
Rowland.
Jennifer comes from a celtic word for "fair", in the sense "pale". I don't
know what would have happened if I had had brown hair.