dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #231

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 10 18:06:45 EDT 2000

Come to think of it, I *am* a character in a book.
The book is "Miriam in her Forties" by Alan Lelchuck. I think I'm in chapter
25. Miriam gets taken to a Peace Now demonstration by a character named Maya
maniacally driving a white mini (this is my mother and the car we had until
I was about 9), and I'm her little daughter Gili, described as a
"Salingeresque" child. I'm about 6 in the book, but I was 13 when it came
out, and of course I had to read everything by Salinger to decide whether I
liked this description or not. Alan Lelchuk did indeed go with us to a Peace
Now demonstration like the one described in the book.

I think my mother has a pretty name: it was highly uncommon in her
generation but it is rapidly becoming one of the more common names for girls
in Israel (I've also met at least 3 American Mayas). She was named after a
character in a German children's book my grandmother liked, "Maya the Bee".
Her sister is Mira, which I think is also a pretty name (it's a form of
Miriam or Mary).

For Israeli boy's names, I'm particularly fond of Noam, Shaul (Saul), Boaz,
Yoav, Lior, Eyal, and the unexciting Daniel. Favourite girls' names: Daphna,
Tali, Anat, Yael, Michal, Liat, Ayala and Ilana (all pretty standard
here...)

Gili