Names (was: Re: YotG - wee bittie spoilers)

Tue Oct 10 17:37:55 EDT 2000

On Sun, 8 Oct 2000 11:06:31 -0700 (PDT), LizzieO wrote:

>I was thinking of this when I saw the tubby one; one
>nickname for Elizabeth I've never been able to abide
>is Libby (though there's a book called Libby on
>Wednesday by Zilpha Keatley Snyder I've always liked)
>for a very simple reason.  The abbreviation for pounds
>is lb, and when I was little I said that lib.  Still
>do, actually, just not aloud to anyone.  So Libby to
>me is associated with pounds, and I always saw Libby
>as a very chubby person.  Believe me, with a name like
>Margaret Elizabeth, I've always been very open to
>nicknames.

I think it's the double-B in Libby that makes me think of chubbiness (hey,
there's another good double-B word!).

And on the subject of Elizabeth, one of the Anne of Green Gables books
(_Anne of Windy Poplars_) there's the little girl next door named Elizabeth
who loves having all those nicknames and uses different ones depending on
her mood.  Ironically, though, the one thing she says she could never be is
a Lizzie! :)

Melissa Proffitt