Names

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Tue Oct 10 17:01:13 EDT 2000

><grin>  Not to mention Siobhán, Sorcha, Áine, Clíodhna, Bláithnaid, Deirdre,
>Orlaith, Eithne...  These are all girls' names, btw (pronunciation list
>provided on request); boys' names in Irish tend not to be so bad, apart from
>Seán and Séamas.  Fergal, Cormac, Fergus, Lorcan, Kieran...okay, there's
>Darragh and Diarmuid, but those more often appear in their anglicised
>spellings, Dara and Dermot.

Eoin takes a bit of getting used to until you know it's Owen, IMO.  And
Seán is a name I loved until I saw all the Shawns and Shauns proliferating.

I came across the name Scarlett Barrett recently.  It's so balanced (to use
Sally's terminology) it over-balances.  But then the same place yielded a
Fiona McKenna, which is almost a poem in itself!  All in my VHO, of course.

I was thinking that it was odd we seemed to have nobody with major DWJ
names - no Toms, Sophies, Pollys, Christophers, but then someone mentioned
TotG and I remembered Sally.  Duh.  Also Kathleen from Dogsbody, of course.
I'm expecting part of my brain to return any day now...

Hallie.