Names

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Mon Oct 9 14:56:10 EDT 2000

Alex said...

> On the subject of Nigerian names, I had a friend at school who was called
> Alero Omabegho (pronounced umabeyo) which I thought was really great.

I love the pronunciation of Nigerian names.  My aunt married a Nigerian, and
her surname became Ofoegbu - pronounced ofeybu.  Took me years to learn to
spell it correctly, though (and I still have to think phonetic pronunciation
to get it right)!

> I'd have preferred especially as Alexandra Regalski
> sounds like some sort of revolutionary who might have hung around
> with Rosa Luxembourg.

Oh, definitely.

> devised the terrible composite name of Elandra Lowmith

Well, Lowmith sounds a bit odd, but I rather like Elandra.  I may steal it
for a story sometime.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian. (whose parents inflicted the name Gráinne on her, which no
non-Irish-speaker can pronounce!)
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

No, I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on tape somewhere.