Names (was: Re: YotG - wee bittie spoilers)

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Mon Oct 9 09:16:58 EDT 2000

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:

> And the girls' names that are really boys' names- Georgina (my grandmother
> went with Gee, my friend is Nina), Paulette- unfair, really. The very worst
> is Nigella Lawson- she bears up well, but how much does that scream "we
> wanted a boy"? No good abbreviation for that, either.
> Anyway- this is starting to sound a bit like the "so what will you call your
> children?" talks from playtime at primary school, where everyone hated
> everyone else's favourite romantic names, so I won't keep on any longer!
> Jennifer

Well, there was one girl at my school who was named Eugena Oh, which has
much the same effect.  On the other hand, one of the poets at the high
school literary magazine was named Kurt, but it was actually short for
Kurtlyn, and he told us that his parents had wanted a girl and thought
that Kurtlyn was a more feminine sounding name, so I guess it _can_ run
both ways.

						---Kyra