Witch and Wombat, was RE: Names was re YotG

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Mon Oct 9 05:44:41 EDT 2000

on 8.10.2000 22:46, jenwa at jhsung at MIT.EDU wrote:
> in Carolyn Cushman's book Witch and Wombat, i think the protagonist's name
is
> Hallie... though it may be spelled differently...  it's been a long time
since
> i've read the book.

Actually, it's Hali (had the book on a shelf near the computer).
Tarja

Excellent book! It's strange, its plot is rather like Dark Lord of Derkholm
and the treatment is quite similar in a way, and yet I wasn't actually
reminded of it *while* I was reading Dark Lord, only when I thought about it
afterwards.
Someone mentioned Annie Dalton- one of her books (can't remember the title)
reminded me of The Changeover (by Margaret Mahy, not dwj!) while I was
reading it. The main plot is "girl becomes witch to save her young brother,
helped by gorgeous male witch". And yet the subplots, atmosphere, and
circumstances which caused this to happen were very different. (Both are
very good and well worth reading). So I don't know why this comparison came
to mind at once and the Cushman/dwj didn't. Maybe because the Cushman book
is *more* of a simple YA book than Derkholm, or maybe I was thinking of
Tough Guide and that put other things out of my mind somewhat. Or maybe it
was just longer between reading the two books.
Jennifer