Names

Robyn Starkey robyns at corplink.com.au
Mon Oct 9 00:11:25 EDT 2000

I love this names discussion, no matter how off-topic.

My daughter's name is Xanthe (and her surname is Petherick, so maybe she is
skirting a little close to sounding like a prat according to Ven's
definition). Which people (apart from my grandmother and great aunt who
call her "baby") seem just about able to cope with when they see it
written, but I have the opposite of a pronunciation problem when strangers
ask her name. When I say it, it's like it doesn't compute and they say "Oh,
Sandy, that's nice". Which it isn't - either nice or her name. Of course,
Greek people say, "Excellent, good Greek name".

Of course there are induhviduals who insist on saying "Egg-zanthe".

Robyn