Names (was: Re: YotG - wee bittie spoilers)

Sat Oct 7 14:33:18 EDT 2000

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000 16:44:26 -0400 , McMullin, Elise wrote:

>"(and who's waiting for _Amber Spyglass_ on the 10th?"
>
>Me!  Can't wait!  And Storm of Swords - #3 from George R. Martin.  October
>is a good month.

I'm going to wait a LONG time for that one, because my heart couldn't take
the strain of reading those books.  Way too intense.

But on the subject of intense books, I did read _Checkmate_ in Phoenix and
it was great great great!  Still wrenchingly heartbreaking, but there you
go.

>I looked up Melissa on a mythological database site:
>
>Melissa: A nymph, daughter of King Melisseus. She is thought to have fed the
>infant Zeus with goat milk and taught humans the use of honey (melitta,
>bee). 'Melissa' was also a title for the priestesses of Demeter and Artemis.

There is also a city in Crete named Melissa, according to my atlas.  Jacob
pointed out that the common meaning in baby name books is "honeybee."  I was
going to be a Melanie until my mom found out that meant roughly "clad in
darkness" and decided against it.

A nymph, huh.  Sounds uncomfortable.  :)

Melissa Proffitt