Wild Robert

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Sat Oct 7 12:59:24 EDT 2000

Somehow the "marginalized" existance around the edges of Castlemain in Wild
Robert never ticked off a Time of the Ghost alert for me. The way that it was
presented was benign enough that what I was linking to was E. Nesbit's The
Enchanted Castle. (Probably because while Heather was lonely, I didn't get
the feeling that she was actually neglected.) And in that context the
"preocupied parents" shtick settles into the traditional device of getting
the grown-ups out of the way so an adventure can happen in the first place.
If you think back, Mabel, the caretaker's neice in EC was a fairly lonley
child until she met the others and brought them to the castle to play.

I had forgotton about this little story. (I'm going to have to reread it.) It
is another one of Jones's rare products in the very traditional style, like
Ogre Downstairs. And open-ended to the point that you half-way expect it to
be the first of a series of Wild Robert stories.

That "fizzing" sensation was used both in Ghost (where Sally was drinking the
blood to be able to speak) and in Crown of Dalemark, whenever Maywen got
close to Kankredin's minions.