dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #228

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 7 10:17:14 EDT 2000

Paul - great minds think alike. Yes, I'm sure we're talking about the same
story, glad you remembered the name!

Re: our names in books

There's "The Great Gilly Hopkins" but I both spell and pronounce my name
differently.

My official first name is Avigail, I'm a bit ambivalent about biblical
Avigail/Abigail (betrayed her husband to become one of David's first wives)

Gili is moderately common in Israel, for both sexes. I remember I was
thrilled to find a book called "Gili Loves Grandma", I wanted to get it for
my grandmother, but then I discovered that the book is about the grandmother
dying.

And I wouldn't say "Jacob" is "usurper", I think literally it means "he who
shall follow", which is not quite the same thing. It also comes from the
same root as the word for "heel", and Jacob was holding Esau's heel when
they were born.

I kinda wish DWJ read this once in a while. I imagine it could be awkward
for her at times, but so much neat stuff comes up here, lots of good bits
that could be stolen for stories, I think.

Gili