Idealism

Ven ven at vvcrane.junglelink.co.uk
Fri Oct 6 22:37:17 EDT 2000

Date sent:      	Fri, 6 Oct 2000 14:31:38 -0400
From:           	owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net (dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones))
To:             	dwj-digest at suberic.net
Subject:        	dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #228
Send reply to:  	dwj at suberic.net

> I am allergic to idealism in its purer forms at the moment; too many
> friends who as they grow older, have become wedded to principles
> instead of the things behind the principles. Folk singers who can't
> listen to anything that's "untraditional". Environmentalists who hope
> humans become extinct. Snobs who sneer at drinkers of cheap beer.

All these things can be seen as a kind of fundamentalism. I have a
lot of vegan friends -- I'm veggie myself. We have a lot of jokes,
based on the way people tended to behave as new converts, about
the vegan thought police. They are the people who discover the
ancient products that have been tested on animals in the back of
the bathroom cabinet. The ones who read the labels on everything
in the kitchen cupboards. They are always up to date with the
latest information, and can tell you that plain chocolate hobnobs
haven't been vegan since last June. Luckily these days people are
more likely to say things like "crisps and beer don't count" and the
splendid "parasites forfeit the right to live" -- meaning catfleas and
things that eat your runner beans.

Its definitely a good thing to mellow as time gores on, but I like to
think I've still got my eye on the big picture. Re what Sally said
about castles and cottages I prefer to think I've just changed my
perspective on what my castle should be
                                           Ven.