Names (was: Re: YotG - wee bittie spoilers)

Jacob Proffitt Jacob at Proffitt.com
Fri Oct 6 12:21:39 EDT 2000

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000 16:18:09 +0100, Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk wrote:

>> Well, there was this one book called "The Acts of the Apostles"... ;)
>
>Nice one, Paul!
>
>The only interesting thing Philip does in that book is convert an Ethiopian
>eunuch to Christianity.  In fact it's almost the only interesting thing he does
>in the whole Bible...

Jacob's a fun one biblically because it's the one that gets changed.  Due to
the biblical account, the meaning of Jacob is often read as 'usurper'.  I
can't recall any fantasy Jacobs (though there are a few Jakes I think), but
then, until the last five years or so, there weren't any other real people
named Jacob, either.  Recently Jacob has moved up to be the number one baby
name in the United States.  I can't go to the mall any more without hearing
some mother accost an errant Jacob.  It makes me jumpy because I'm not used
to it...

Jacob Proffitt