Names (was: Re: YotG - wee bittie spoilers)

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Fri Oct 6 11:18:09 EDT 2000

>> Have any of you encountered your own name in a book, as at least a
>> moderately important character?
>
> Well, there was this one book called "The Acts of the Apostles"... ;)

Nice one, Paul!

The only interesting thing Philip does in that book is convert an Ethiopian
eunuch to Christianity.  In fact it's almost the only interesting thing he does
in the whole Bible...

> But seriously, I consider it significant if I encounter a character
> called Paul, because it's a reasonably common name.

Don't you mean "I don't consider..."?

>> I'm sure it happens all the time, but I'm curious because I've never
>> met a single nice Melissa in fiction.

Oh dear, poor Melissa.  I've just been reading "The Corinthian" by Heyer.  I
don't think much of the Melissa in that book, I must admit...

Talking of Heyer, though, I once did a quick survey of her historical novels.
Her heroines' names are I think all unique, but for heroes, there are three
called John, two each called Philip and Charles, and one and a half called
Anthony (Lord Sheringham has to share the honours with Sir Tony Fanshawe, even
though the latter is only second hero to Robin Tremaine)

My middle name, FWIW, is Devereux, but I disremember that I ever saw it in a
novel.

Philip (who hasn't yet died of frustration, but probably soon will).

permission is prohibited.

PowerGen Group does not accept legal responsibility for this message.
PowerGen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

PowerGen UK plc Registered Office: 53 New Broad Street London EC2M 1SL
Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970