Names (was: Re: YotG - wee bittie spoilers)

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Fri Oct 6 01:10:49 EDT 2000

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
> Have any of you encountered
> your own name in a book, as at least a moderately important character?
I was terribly annoyed about Kylara in Anne McCaffrey's Pern books. I
mean, she's the uberwench. Blech. And slutty, to boot. And kinda dumb
sometimes.  My annoyance was only slightly mitigated by finding that
Katherine Kurtz had put a poet Lady Kyla in her Deryni world.

It's funny--I really liked finding my name in the Deryni books, but I
*hate* it when anyone nonfictional has my name. It's mine, dammit, and
it's mine because it's supposed to be *uncommon*. No one else is supposed
to be named Kyla. (Especially since there are all these Kaylas running
around, and that's what I get called most of the time by annoying people
who don't know me.

> sure it happens all the time, but I'm curious because I've never met a
> single nice Melissa in fiction.
well, all I could do was search on IMDB, but I found Melissa as a
character in the movie "Angus," which was based on a short story by...oh,
I don't remember, but anyway, Melissa is popular, pretty, *and* really
neat in that she likes the main character who is overweight and has two
gay parents. So she's nice, was my point.

>  (I also should mention that I plan to steal
> Kyla Tornheim's name for a fictional character just as soon as I get around
> to it.  You have been warned.)
ooh! really? cool! what a compliment! :^) But isn't that illegal, or
something? also, the only Tornheims in the US (and maybe anywhere else, I
dunno if there *are* any) are related to me (and there aren't that many
of us), so they might notice. Or think it's neat. Or something.

Joyce: Are you, uh, going out tonight?
Buffy: Yeah, I'm going to a club.
Joyce: Oh. Will there be boys there?
Buffy: No, Mom. It's a nun club.