Names (was: Re: YotG - wee bittie spoilers)

Fri Oct 6 00:34:35 EDT 2000

On Wed, 4 Oct 2000 22:05:57 +0100, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

>Melissa, the utterly unstupid wrote:
>
>>How about having your own special personal name stolen for the gorgeous but
>>utterly stupid comic relief?  :)
>
>:-)  My first thought on encountering this character was how unapt the
>name/personality mix!!!

It was utterly disconcerting, let me tell you...though at least she's not
called Missy, which is a nickname I detest (that's what my mother used to
call me when I was being uppity).

And on the general topic of names:  I recently re-read Anne Tyler's _The
Clock Winder_, one of my favorite books though I couldn't say why, and
there's a Melissa in that too--a sharp-faced fashion model, self-centered
and superficial.  I can't think of any others.  Have any of you encountered
your own name in a book, as at least a moderately important character?  I'm
sure it happens all the time, but I'm curious because I've never met a
single nice Melissa in fiction.  (I also should mention that I plan to steal
Kyla Tornheim's name for a fictional character just as soon as I get around
to it.  You have been warned.)

>Hallie - Still laughing on my way off to continue reading in bed (only
>place warm enough to read by 10 pm as we've _still_ no heat).

Oh NO!  How awful!  Wish we could ship some of the Phoenix heat your way.  I
think it takes a special kind of lunacy to want to live there.  The first of
October and it's *still* 100 degrees Fahrenheit in the shade.

>And we're not discussing this book, so nobody yell at us, but doesn't what
>Olga said about the YotG Melissa's stupidity fit in perfectly with the
>elitism etc. topic?

Aaack. How can we possibly answer this without discussing the book?  :)

It does give me ideas though....

Melissa Proffitt,
obediently waiting for October 20th

(and who's waiting for _Amber Spyglass_ on the 10th?  I'm getting it from
the library, because I plan to complete my set in paperback, so it's going
to be a while for that one)