No YOG Spoilers Here, Only an Ignored Runaway Metaphor

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Wed Oct 4 21:39:00 EDT 2000

	Hmmm... maybe this has something to do with my philosophical
beliefs, but I tend to think that this has to do with the way people build
personalities in part through encounters with narratives. . . but part of
why I love books and fiction in general so much (though not all of it, I
don't think) is those moments of recognition.  Hmm... I think that I'm
changing the subject a bit, but I really liked that description of
Delaney's experience.  When I was rereading the book of Thomas Mann short
stories with "Death in Venice" in it last year, I actually went and made a
list of three quotes which were things I felt I should have said, only
Mann said them so much better.  When I was trying to define my feelings
about events in my life last year, I basically did it by thinking
of a character in a video game (but a video game with very deep characters
and a reasonably deep plot) whose situation seemed to be close enough to
mine that I could define some of my feelings using her as a medium.  Right
now I desperately want to write poems based on lines from "Death in
Venice" and _The Great Gatsby_ that are just the perfect jumping-off
points for the things I want to say. I love that feeling that there are
people whom I've never met and even people who lived hundreds or thousands
of years before me (did I ever mention that  Catullus is deeply cool,
although not in such a recognizable way?) who've said things that seem to
apply to me and my life - or even to shape my thoughts about my life.  My
grandfather has Alzheimer's and can hardly remember anything anymore, but
when my mother goes in to read him Shakespeare's sonnets, he still is able
to correct her or even finish the sonnets.  It's so sad that he's lost so
much of his memory, but I can't help but think it's beautiful that one of
the last things to stay with him is this group of poems written 400 years
ago - that people can touch each other through time like that just
astonishes me.

						---Kyra

"It is one thing to read histories or Roman poetry.  I want to get in
touch with my warrior side."

			---Giuseppe Pecorelli, gladiator student (NYT)