YOG wee bittie spoilers with runaway metaphor

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Wed Oct 4 21:13:03 EDT 2000

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Ven wrote:

> Fire and Hemlock came out just after I'd written and played a D&D
> scenario sort of based on Tam Lin. My heroine apart from the players
> was called Pollya. Its just weird. It reminds me that in Delany's
> Empire Star there's a tortured young poet who suffers from, among
> other things, the idea that another poet always seemed to have had
> the same experiences before him and written about them.

Not quite the same thing, but I recall reading a story called
"Who's Cribbing?" that was about an sf writer whose career was
suffering because some guy forty years earlier had invented a form of
time travel and was using it to plagiarise the protagonist's stories
before he'd written them. Every time he submitted a story, he'd get a
rejection letter saying "It's a wonderful story, but we can't print it
because it's letter-for-letter identical to a story we published forty
years ago".

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."