YOG wee bittie spoilers with runaway metaphor

Ven ven at vvcrane.junglelink.co.uk
Wed Oct 4 20:46:41 EDT 2000

Date sent:      	Wed, 4 Oct 2000 17:31:53 -0400
From:           	owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net (dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones))
To:             	dwj-digest at suberic.net
Subject:        	dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #227
Send reply to:  	dwj at suberic.net

> A Very Weird Thing about YoTG: Yesterday, when Mom was reading the
> beginning [Becca here], she laughed out loud and read me the part where
> Elda says she used to be the eldest until Florence and Angelo came along.
> Okay. Around June I started writing a story (that I never finished) about a
> girl who met some strange people round the back of her school. Their names
> were (wait for it!) Florence and Angelo. When Mom read that to me I was a
> bit annoyed, because I thought *I* made up those names. <sniff> I thought
> they were *good* names!

Fire and Hemlock came out just after I'd written and played a D&D
scenario sort of based on Tam Lin. My heroine apart from the
players was called Pollya. Its just weird. It reminds me that in
Delany's Empire Star there's a tortured young poet who suffers
from, among other things, the idea that another poet always
seemed to have had the same experiences before him and written
about them.  I believe Delany himself sometimes had that feeling
about  Theodore Sturgeon. Its enough to make you believe that
there's a great cauldron of story out there and lots of people are
dipping in to whatever's bubbled to the top. And do I think the great
innovators have a particularly long spoon to stir it with? J.K
Rowling, is her spoon long enough: Discuss.
                                           Ven.