Sexism in Harry Potter, with spoilers for HP4

andrew osmond andrew at ozma.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 3 03:50:33 EDT 2000

Quick comments: haven't read the Potter article yet.

People may dislike Hermonine, but Rowling herself says she's her
favourite. I quite like her myself (more after book 1). Hope to say more
later.

In my Dreamwatch interview (now out in Blighty, plug, plug), dwj
comments, 'I had to modify my protagonists when I first started writing,
not now. In those days, boys wouldn't read something with a girl as the
main character, but girls quite liked reading about boys. So I wrote
about boys mostly.'

Suggesting things have changed a bit... comments? Me, I think Buffy is
pushing the cause forward a good bit.
--
andrew osmond