Bed-time musings on character in DWJ

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Tue Nov 21 12:17:44 EST 2000

>>Well, in the formal sense of "breach of promise of marriage", probably
>>not.  But I think he would have denied it a lot more strongly if he hadn't
>>deliberately led the Witch to believe he was genuinely committed.
>>
>>But... What on earth do you mean by "a guy thing or a Howl thing"?
>
> Well, guys are often a bit deliberately obtuse when it comes to
> understandings of the nuances of their relationships with women. To give an

[...]

Oh, I see what you mean now.  I'm sure it was a Howl thing.  Or rather, I'm sure
he wasn't merely being obtuse.  You can see it in his courting of Lettie - he is
declaring eternal devotion and things when - if you catch him in an unguarded
moment - he knows very well that he won't be devoted.

The connection is made with his lack of a heart, but I don't think this is more
than psychological.  I'm pretty certain he's genuinely fallen for Sophie
_before_ his (physical) heart is re-installed.

Philip.

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970