Reg and why he is like he is

EstairM at aol.com EstairM at aol.com
Thu Nov 16 18:14:57 EST 2000

In a message dated 11/16/2000 4:11:22 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net writes:

> Well, yes.  But you could also think of the struggle to live morally
>  as one which is equally never over until one dies.  Which is why I'd
>  explained about Reg by his father's having been taken.  The desire to
>  get what we want with no cost to ourselves is in all of us surely.
>  Reg would hardly be in any worse moral shape than anyone else just
>  because of his father.

I always read this on a very simple level, that it is hard for a mother to
raise a male child on her own, no matter how good she is.  My grandmother
raised her children as a single mother around the same time as Granny did.
She was a tough, determined woman, but it wasn't easy supporting her kids and
being the only parent.  I definitely think my mother and uncle could have
benefited from a loving father.  My uncle, especially...

Esther

"It is never too late to be what you might have been." --George Eliot