DWJ mention. Snickers

Philip.Belben at pgen.com Philip.Belben at pgen.com
Wed Nov 15 13:22:45 EST 2000

Bettina:

> Raider heißt jetzt Twix, sonst ändert sich nix!
> Raider's now called Twix, but nothing else changes.

So.  Was Twix called "Raider" once? :-)

> So. Was Sinckers called "Marathon" once?

In the UK it was.  I don't know if that name applied anywhere else.  About 12
years ago, Marathon bars started appearing with the message "Sold
internationally as 'Snickers'" on the wrapper.  Predictably, these were replaced
by Snickers bars with the message "- the new name for Marathon" on the wrappers.

I didn't like the change - to me "snickers" sounded like "sniggers".  To others
it was even worse: "knickers".  There's also the possibility of Lewis Carol's
vorpal blade going "Snickers-snack", which has such a tangle of connotations
that I'm not even going to start unravelling it...

Philip.

Disclaimer notice:
prohibited.

Telephone     +44 (0) 2476 42 4000