Bed-time musings on character in DWJ

Philip.Belben at pgen.com Philip.Belben at pgen.com
Wed Nov 15 12:59:07 EST 2000

Robyn, quoting Hallie:

>>My final thought was that Reg's being with Joanna, was like Howl and the
>>Witch of the Waste, but then I remembered wondering whether Sophie had
>>done that?  Can't for the life of me remember whether we discussed this or
>>not, but I'm thinking of the bit near the beginning where she says that
>>the heartless Howl and the Witch of the Waste should get together.  I was
>>never clear whether they'd have to have been together before Sophie said
>>that or not.
>
> I just reread Howl and I think it is a little bit deliberately ambiguous.
> Howl says the Witch wanted him and was put out when she didn't get him, but
> I am not sure if this means he has courted and spurned her like all those
> girls whose hearts he ate or not. It isn't clear how far things get with
> Miss Angorian, either.

Well, Sophie actually asks him did he jilt the Witch of the Waste?  And he
replies that he wouldn't put it that way, but he once thought he was fond of
her, iirc.  The implication, as I've always understood it, being that he did.

> Speaking of Miss Angorian, I love the way DWJ makes her so unlikeable, but
> there isn't anything specifically negative about her, you just hate her on
> site. I guess this is because the reader is aligned with Sophie and Sophie
> hates her but I still think it is subtle and clever.

I take it you mean you hated her on sight...

I don't particularly hate her, except that I now know she's a fire demon.  I
think she's OTT about wanting to account for every last photocopied sheet,
though.

Philip.

Disclaimer notice:
prohibited.