Buffy, Angel (was RE: OT Invasion; Earth)

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Wed Nov 15 08:07:05 EST 2000

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:
> I think the situation for sf in general is not quite so bad here, because it
> tends to be on 2 and 4, which are "minority" channels and thus not quite so
> ratings-mad and can keep odd programmes on.

I'm surprised that Buffy and Angel have had such problems being on
television there--here, they're on the WB channel, and they're probably
two of its highest-rated (well, except for the angsty Dawson's Creek) and
critically acclaimed shows. I doubt they'll ever cancel them; Buffy will
probably only end when Joss Whedon decides it's time. All other sci-fi
shows, yes, definitely have problems. I still remember fondly the first
season of SeaQuest, before The Idiotic Powers That Be decided everyone
needed to be younger and sexier, so they scrapped three of the best
characters ever and replaced them with pretty nobodies. Grr.