Bed-time musings on character in DWJ (Howl)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Nov 15 04:57:34 EST 2000

>I think it could fit into the timescale in the book with the whole of Howl's
>affaire, the Witch's capture of Ben - and then when Justin went to
>look for Ben,
>and after several dud finding spells, Justin - between Sophie's remark and
>Sophie meeting Howl, but it would be very tight!
>
>Besides, while her talent was strong, I don't think it was well developed at
>that stage.  She talked life into hats, and later into her walking
>stick and the
>Witch's old-age spell, by prolonged muttering at them.  At that
>stage, I doubt a
>single chance remark would have been very powerful against Howl or the Witch!

I agree about the tightness of the timing, and agree about the
prolonged muttering - I suppose otherwise there would have been an
extremely dangerous, Simon-Says-Spell-like situation!  But I'm not so
sure about her talent being undeveloped at that stage.  Do you
actually think Sophie's talent develops, or is it rather that she's
brought (kicking and screaming) to recognize it?  The hats must have
taken pretty effective magic, given the description of their wearers.
:)

And then Sally added:

>Maybe Sophie's talent was retrospective?

What a concept!  The possibilities multiply dizzyingly, don't they?

Hallie.