OT Invasion; Earth

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Wed Nov 15 05:07:34 EST 2000

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 00:36:17 +1100, Sally Odgers wrote:
>What has television got against Brit sci-fi? Any sci fi, for that matter?
>The only sci-fi programmes allowed to air undisturbed are Star Trek and its
>spins-off... oh, and Star Gate gets a reasonable run... mutter mutter -
just
>as well.
Here in the US it depends on where you live, because most British SF is on
the public broadcasting stations and is regional.
On the other hand, *I* will be watching two hours of Buffy/Angel "event"
tonight while I fold laundry.  :)
Melissa Proffitt

Jealousy! I haven't seen *any* episodes of Angel, Channel 4 put it on at 6
so nobody would be home from work, then of course they cut it (and just
don't show some eps) as it's "not suitable for family viewing". WELL OF
COURSE IT ISN'T!! PUT IT ON LATER!!!! Sorry to shout- it's just so annoying.
Plus they keep moving it so it's more difficult to video. There was a bit on
Right To Reply last week about why they moved it, but they never said why
they put it on ridiculously early. I also miss Buffy, but that's because I'm
at a choir rehearsal and not BBC2's fault.
I think the situation for sf in general is not quite so bad here, because it
tends to be on 2 and 4, which are "minority" channels and thus not quite so
ratings-mad and can keep odd programmes on.
I'm waiting impatiently for the Red Dwarf film. Just hope it's written by
Grant and Naylor, the last series(es?) with only one of them was definitely
not as good.
Jennifer