OT Invasion; Earth

Tue Nov 14 20:50:50 EST 2000

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 00:36:17 +1100, Sally Odgers wrote:

>What has television got against Brit sci-fi? Any sci fi, for that matter?
>The only sci-fi programmes allowed to air undisturbed are Star Trek and its
>spins-off... oh, and Star Gate gets a reasonable run... mutter mutter - just
>as well.

Here in the US it depends on where you live, because most British SF is on
the public broadcasting stations and is regional.  Seattle WA, for example,
airs a lot of British SF; they do all the Red Dwarf series and had some of
the actors over for subscription marathons, etc.  They also aired
"Neverwhere" but I missed it (just caught the tail end of it to know it was
on).  But here in Salt Lake there's not so much.  And I don't know what
happened to all the Doctor Who reruns that were on when I was younger.

SF is kind of weird.  Occasionally there will be a TV-movie that is really a
pilot for a new show, but it's more of a feeler than anything else.
"Babylon 5", for example, aired its pilot movie at least a year before the
actual show began.  (This is, in case you were wondering, one of the best SF
shows ever made.  If you don't get it where you live, I am sorry.)  There
have been others that just didn't go anywhere, most likely because the pilot
did poorly.  Let's see...there was an X-Men movie, and a weird Doctor Who
one, and one that I can't remember the title of that had some conflict
between the light place and the dark place.  And a truly dreadful show with
Morgan Fairchild as an unconvincing officer on a spaceship or something.

My obnoxious opinion is that most of the people who plan and execute these
shows and movies only see the surface of what is SF and end up creating
stuff that fans look at and say "Yuck."

It's too bad about "Forever Knight" huh?  I remember that it just sort of
dropped off the face of the earth and had a very unsatisfying ending.  What
a good show.  Except for the last three episodes.

On the other hand, *I* will be watching two hours of Buffy/Angel "event"
tonight while I fold laundry.  :)

Melissa Proffitt