Bed-time musings on character in DWJ

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Tue Nov 14 12:30:25 EST 2000

Hallie wrote:

> My final thought was that Reg's being with Joanna, was like Howl and
> the Witch of the Waste, but then I remembered wondering whether
> Sophie had done that?  Can't for the life of me remember whether we
> discussed this or not, but I'm thinking of the bit near the beginning
> where she says that the heartless Howl and the Witch of the Waste
> should get together.  I was never clear whether they'd have to have
> been together before Sophie said that or not.

Sophie said that when Howl's castle appeared in the hills.  This was only a few
months before Sophie met him.

I got the impression that Howl's affaire with the Witch was earlier than that.
I think it was before the Witch caught Suliman and Justin - I don't think she
could have concealed that from him!  Gaston/Percival was with the witch when she
cursed Sophie, so she had already done most of the necessary workings on Ben and
Justin by that point.

I think it could fit into the timescale in the book with the whole of Howl's
affaire, the Witch's capture of Ben - and then when Justin went to look for Ben,
and after several dud finding spells, Justin - between Sophie's remark and
Sophie meeting Howl, but it would be very tight!

Besides, while her talent was strong, I don't think it was well developed at
that stage.  She talked life into hats, and later into her walking stick and the
Witch's old-age spell, by prolonged muttering at them.  At that stage, I doubt a
single chance remark would have been very powerful against Howl or the Witch!

Philip.

permission is prohibited.

PowerGen Group does not accept legal responsibility for this message.
PowerGen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

PowerGen UK plc Registered Office: 53 New Broad Street London EC2M 1SL
Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970