Oh No! It's food obsessions again!

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Tue Nov 14 08:07:57 EST 2000

Jacob, replying to my query:

>>Please, please enlighten me.  What on _earth_ is a pixie stick?
>
> Pixie sticks are a demonic little invention used to sneak almost pure sugar
> into the hands of children.  A pixie stick is very much like a small straw
> that is crimped on each end.  They are made of wax paper and come in
> colorful colors.  Inside is almost pure sugar with a little flavoring to
> match the color of the stick (orange, lime, grape that kind of thing).

I have seen them, but never eaten them.  I had no idea they were called pixie
sticks, though.

On the other hand, I think plastic tubes are more common than paper ones over
here

> I *love* pixie sticks.  I even eat the stick.  In fact, one of my favorite
> ways to eat the pixie sticks is simply to take a bite (the more usually way
> to eat them is to rip the top off and dribble the contents into your mouth).
> But then, I've been chewing paper since I was a kid.

I think my friend Tony wins even there.  He is a computer nut, and (therefore?)
eats paper tape if he wants to chew paper.  (He says it tastes much nicer than
punched cards).  As far as I know, he only once ate a floppy disk, though.

I've never really been a paper chewer.  Pen tops, yes.  Little bits of plastic
insulation stripped from electric wires, definitely (and especially if I used my
teeth as wire strippers).  The edge of a disposable plastic cup (usually when
I've finished the contents) occasionally.

To bring this back on topic, I think Sirius is the only DWJ character who goes
in for chewing odd things.  I wonder why...

***

Lizzie, on my final comment in another message:

>> > Philip (who hasn't read Goblet of Fire yet because he's still waiting for
the
>> paperback)
>

> <grin> that sounds rather like a snickers commercial.  Snickers (candy
> bar) had a series of humorous (they hope) commercials where someone would

I know it _says_ Snickers on the wrapper, but as far as I'm concerned that bar
is called "Marathon" :-)

> be placed in an odd situation where they obviously couldn't get away for a
> while, and then a voice over would start: not going anywhere for a
> while?  Grab a snickers."  Some of them were funny; I can't remember any
> off the top of my head.  I don't know if those commercials aired outside
> the US.

:-)  Not having a TV (it was TV commercials you meant, wasn't it?) I cannot
claim to be well up on such things, but I doubt that they'd use the same
advertisements over here (UK) that they use in the US.  Elsewhere they might...

Philip.

permission is prohibited.

PowerGen Group does not accept legal responsibility for this message.
PowerGen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

PowerGen UK plc Registered Office: 53 New Broad Street London EC2M 1SL
Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970