DWJ mention.

M Elizabeth Parks meparks at mtholyoke.edu
Mon Nov 13 20:42:16 EST 2000

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind."

		--Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)

No owl can possibly be called Archie.

		--TH White, "The Once and Future King"

> >> I laughed aloud a
> >> couple of times--like when the author talked about the scene when Ron
> >> tries to cast a spell but his broken wand falls over and how that was
> >> symbolic of his impotence.
> >
> > LOL! It doesn't look like this is a typo or thinko for "incompetence"
> > either. Does this author really think it's meant to be *that*
> > symbolic?
>
> Come off it!  It doesn't _have_ to imply sexual impotence!  Magical impotence
> might be what was meant.

I personally think that that's what Rowling meant--but the way that this
woman who wrote the book (which is awful, overanalytical and at the same
time so dumbed-down it's numbing--only it did have some interesting
points) said it implied the sexual thing.  Using
the word impotence in conjunction with anything even remotely phallic
falling over definately at least conveys a sort of(wink, wink nudge,
nudge
aren't I clever) sexual connotation.  And the word impotence--like the
word erotic, it's very sexually charged.

Or it could just be my sick little college mind.

(Has anyone ever read Audre
Lorde's essay "On the Uses of the Erotic?"  It's quite interesting and
when I read it I remember associating it with something to do with
DWJ--just a random connection in this odd brain of mine, probably nothing
that anyone else would ever find--but did anybody else?)  Ahh.  My brain's
dead; I've just written eight pages on Arthurian motifs in Harry Potter.

Just a question: didn't I hear something about an anime version of Howl at
one point?

> > Philip (who hasn't read Goblet of Fire yet because he's still waiting for the
> paperback)

<grin> that sounds rather like a snickers commercial.  Snickers (candy
bar) had a series of humorous (they hope) commercials where someone would
be placed in an odd situation where they obviously couldn't get away for a
while, and then a voice over would start: not going anywhere for a
while?  Grab a snickers."  Some of them were funny; I can't remember any
off the top of my head.  I don't know if those commercials aired outside
the US.

lizzie