dwj-digest

Robyn Starkey robyns at corplink.com.au
Sun Nov 12 19:38:01 EST 2000

>Also, the title of the new Stevemeyer is "When the King Comes Home" (isbn
>0-312-87214-3) and it's supposedly scheduled for Dec.  [So how did I miss it
>in the advance announcements??

I've read this now, and I would have to say it is excellent on the
sentence-level, but the plot is kind of confused. Not exactly sure what the
story was supposed to be, and there are all these sinister hints that don't
come to anything. So I was a little disappointed because College of Magics
is such an excellently complete story. Thematically I found the book rather
similar to Bujold's The Spirit Ring - the time setting seemed the same and
the ideas about metal and alchemy had a lot in common.

Robyn