Archer's Goon

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Nov 11 19:46:00 EST 2000

Mark wrote
> I wonder if anyone can help me. I have just finished watching the BBC
> adaptation of Archer's Goon. For once I find myself utterly confused. Is the
> story a metaphor for anything in particular. I have also just finished the
> book and cannot help but feel that I am missing something.
>
> Any help you can give would be most appreciated.

I agree with Sally that Archer, Dillian et al are personifications of
the bureaucratic forces that must be pacified by form filling, bill
paying, seeing bank managers etc, sort of neccessary evils. I think
DWJ intended comedy rather than allegory however. Public
transport came under Hathaway and that was why it was stuck in
the past indeed!

Another thing that i believe went into the mix was Roger Zelazny's
Amber novels (I'm sure I read something about this once). There
are thematic similarities  --

SPOILER WARNING

both have powerful superhuman families who are secret rulers.
Both have heroes who can't remember their origins in such
families. And in both the superhuman rulers are big kids who need
to grow up and stop throwing tantrums. AG, of course takes off in a
completely different direction to Amber

                                           Ven.